It was Linus who once asked Charlie Brown “When you go on a cruise Charlie Brown, do you set your deck chair up at the bow so you can see where you are going; or do you prefer to set you deck chair up at the stern so you can see where you’ve come from?”
Charlie Brown replied, “With my luck I wouldn’t even be able to get my deck chair unfolded!”
I tell you this because we have a group of keen people at Trinity who have set their deck chairs up in the bow, so they can look ahead and plan where we are going. They are our Vision committee. I really appreciate them and what they are seeking to do. Let me tell you why.
– they believe that the future is good
– they believe that as a church we have only just begun
– they believe that is vitally important for everyone to contribute ideas and dreams for the future
– they believe in our community and want to see Trinity as a significant part of it
– they believe that when we are committed to Christ the best is yet to be
It has been said that the future belongs to those who plan for it. In J.R.R. Tolkien’s book “The Hobbit” are these lines:-
The greatest adventure is what lies ahead
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said
The chances, the changes are all yours to make
The mold of your life is in your hands to break.
“Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal . .” (Philippians 3:13,14)